We see many children in our acupuncture practice and they respond very well to acupuncture and Chinese Herb treatments.
At first, our licensed acupuncturists will take a medical history as part of the new patient acupuncture intake visit. Then, we look at the child’s face, tongue, take pulses, and diagnose the traditional Chinese medical pattern that is causing diarrhea or constipation. We may offer acupuncture, or, there are other techniques such as cupping or moxa, depending upon the child, diagnosis, and comfort level.
What causes Pediatric Diarrhea and Constipation?
- Dehydration – not drinking enough water.
- Irregular eating and sleeping patterns.
- Low protein intake.
- Structural issues.
- Not enough exercise or movement.
- Eating too much raw food – especially fruits.
- Eating too many carbs.
According to Chinese medicine, we look at how much heat or cold is in a child’s body, we consider their fluid intake, look at their movement, how much dampness they have in their bodies which causes sluggish digestion. Do you ever notice if your child lays around eating carb snacks and then has a hard time going to the bathroom that day, or, maybe even gets a bellyache? We suggest keeping a food and activity diary to help track which food may be triggering your child’s discomfort.
Home Care for Diarrhea and Constipation
- drink regular water throughout the day.
- Avoid too many fruits and juices.
- Get regular movement and exercise throughout the day. Limit long spans of sitting and being inactive.
- Eat steam vegetables and get a small amount of protein at each meal or snack time.
- Massage your child’s abdominal area with light pressure – clockwise for constipation, counterclockwise for diarrhea.
Is your child struggling with constipation or diarrhea, or, perhaps both? Schedule a free consultation now with Gina Terinoni, our Clinical Director and one of our Licensed Acupuncturists in Louisville, CO. Call us today: 303-955-7226.